In addition, as the world's largest user of hazelnuts, Ferrero has taken responsibility for ensuring that our hazelnuts are sustainable and ethically sourced. Hazelnuts are incredibly popular all over the world, but there are a few countries that are responsible for producing the majority of the world's hazelnuts. The country that produces the most hazelnuts in the world is Turkey. Turkey is responsible for approximately 70 percent of the world's hazelnut production, so the world is incredibly dependent on turkey for its hazelnut supply.
France depends on imports to meet the high demand for nuts and is currently the third largest importer of hazelnuts after Germany and Italy. French children spread hazelnut paste on bread in the morning and some dip the tartine in a bowl of chocolate milk. Hazelnuts grown in Giresun province are considered to be the best in the world in terms of quality, flavor and aroma, said Kubilay Yaman, an international nut and seed broker based there. Approximately 75% of the world's supply of hazelnuts is grown in Turkey, and a third of that amount comes from the incredibly lush green hills of Ordu.
The hazelnut market is segmented by geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America and Africa). Although Turkey is the largest producer of hazelnuts and represents 75% of world production, Italy is the second largest producer and the main consumer of hazelnuts in the world. Consumption growth in the hazelnut market will be influenced by increased demand from both the general public and the business sector. The growing popularity of Nutella has led to an increase in demand for hazelnuts from industries that meet the growing demand of global consumers.
It is estimated that 90% of the hazelnuts produced in the country go to processing companies, while the remaining 10% are destined for fresh consumption. In Europe, most hazelnuts are imported from Turkey and Italy, although the plant grows in subalpine areas of Germany and is a popular shrub in gardens. These hazelnuts are also a bit oily, meaning they have a higher fat content, but they also taste very rich. It is estimated that 90% of the hazelnuts produced in the country are destined for processing companies, while the remaining 10% are destined for fresh consumption.
Hazelnut production in Turkey represents 62% of the world total, followed by Italy, the United States, Azerbaijan, Chile and Georgia.